For moms-to-be, daily Vitamin B12 plays a strong role in proper fetal development– as proven in a study by the University of Warwick Medical School in the United Kingdom. Research shows a correct dose of Vitamin B12 during pregnancy can aid in preventing type 2 diabetes and other metabolic disorders in children. Wondering how you can be sure you’re getting the correct dose? Here are more facts on the importance of this essential nutrient below!
What is Vitamin B12?
- Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin present in certain foods or one can take it as a dietary supplement.
- It is naturally present in animal products such as milk, eggs, cheese, meat, poultry, and fish. One can find it as an addition to some non-animal products, such as breakfast cereals.
- Essential for proper red blood cell formation, neurological function, and DNA synthesis.
Importance & how can a deficiency during pregnancy impact your child:
- Research shows women with low Vitamin B12 levels during pregnancy are more likely to have a higher body mass index (BMI) and low-birth-weight babies with high cholesterol.
- Research has shown that excess weight can cause an increase in leptin levels in response to food intake.
- This can cause leptin resistance, which may lead to further overeating, weight gain, and insulin resistance, increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Signs of daily Vitamin B12 deficiency:
- Megaloblastic anemia, fatigue, weakness, constipation, loss of appetite, and weight loss.
- There can be neurological changes such as numbness and tingling in the hands and feet.
- Lastly, additional symptoms of deficiency include difficulty maintaining balance, depression, confusion, dementia, poor memory, and soreness of the mouth or tongue.
How to Implement Vitamin B12 into your Daily Intake:
While the deficiency symptoms may sound alarming, it is easy to maintain proper intake of daily Vitamin B12 to alleviate and avoid complications altogether. Premama Prenatal Duo-cap Pill is a complete prenatal multivitamin that includes Vitamin B12. It’s super easy to take one capsule per day and has a great peppermint taste to help alleviate any pregnancy-related nausea. Not only will B12 vitamins help your baby, they provide a boost in energy (check out Premama Energy Boost Drink Mix chock full of B-Vitamins) and can even help soothe morning sickness!
Have a couple questions? Shoot us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us on Instagram @premamawellness :)